Click here for a Region Map and details of walking / hiking maps.
Niederau is in the Kitzbüheler Alpen in the Tirol (Tyrol) region of Austria and lies at the eastern end of a West - East valley (Wildschönau) which is south-west of the town of Wörgl. Further along the valley to the west are the villages of Oberau, Mühltal, Thierbach and Auffach.
To the east of Niederau are the villages of Söll and Westendorf.
The main road from Wörgl runs along the valley and ends at Auffach.
Walking / Hiking in the Niederau Area
North of Niederau there are some moderate walks down to Wörgl and Kundl. South of Niederau there are some harder walks on the Marchbachjoch (gondola). Along the valley there are some good walks to Oberau and the other villages. The gorge walk from Mühltal down to Kundl is good. From Auffach there are some walks on the Schazberg (gondola) with a walk down to Alpbach.
The Tourist Office may offer free led walks.
Skiing in the Niederau Area
The main downhill skiing area near Niederau is south on the Marchbachjoch. There is also skiing in Auffach on the Schatzberg. There are gondolas in both areas. There is a beginners area in Oberau.
Niederau is part of the SkiWelt Wilder Kaiser-Brixental and the Kitzbüheler Alpen Ski Region so the skiing area covers a large area.
The ski areas of Alpbach and Wildschönau were connected in 2012 by a new lift (Verbindungsbahn) from Inneralpbach to the summit of Schatzberg. This combined ski area is known as Ski Juwel.
Kitzbüheler Alpen Ski Region comprises of:
- Skigebiet Kitzbühel (Kitzbühel, Kirchberg, Jochberg, Pass Thurn, Mittersill Oberpinzgau)
- SkiWelt Wilder Kaiser-Brixental, (Brixen im Thale, Ellmau, Going, Hopfgarten, Itter, Kelchsau, Scheffau, Söll, Westendorf)
- Skiregion Schneewinkel (St. Johann in Tirol, Oberndorf, Kirchdorf, Erpfendorf, Fieberbrunn, St. Ulrich, St. Jakob, Hochfilzen, Waidring, Reit im Winkl)
- Hochtal Wildschönau (Niederau, Oberau, Auffach, Thierbach)
- Skigebiet Alpbachtal (Alpbach, Reith, Kramsach).
Niederau Walking / Hiking Maps
There are several maps that cover the area at different scales suitable for walking, hiking and exploring the area.
Click here for Niederau Map Information.
Niederau Tourist Information
The tourist office is on the road between Niederau and Oberau.
The nearest airport to Niederau is Innsbruck.
- Innsbruck: 80 km - 0h 50 mins
- Salzburg: 120 km - 1h 15 mins
- Munich: 110 km - 1h 00 mins
Rail Stations (Bahnhof)
The nearest main train station is Wörgl 10 km to the North. Buses run from Niederau to Wörgl.
Buses run along the valley from Wörgl to Auffach calling at Niederau and the villages of Oberau, Mühltal and Auffach.
Cable Cars - Chair Lifts
The main lift in Niederau goes to the summit of Marchbachjoch, 1496m. There is also a lift in Auffach (Schatzberg, 1776m).